"All Bette's stories have happy endings. That's because she knows where to stop. She's realized the real problem with stories — if you keep them going long enough, they always end in death."
-- The Sandman, '24 Hours'
You took my hand.
- Present Alias: Alexis Godot
- Known Past Aliases: Ales de Winter, Alex Fairchild, Alexandre Moreau, Alejandro Villon, Alexis Saint-Marie
- Apparent Age: Late twenties
- Clan: Any colour you like!
- Location: Presently, Seattle, though he's got a history in a lot of other places. A lot of other places.
- Position: Master of Imperial Cats
- Coterie: The Youth and Beauty Brigade
And we fell into it.
The rumors about the vampire named Alexis Godot are numerous and often scandalous. He's violated every sacred trust, been in every place, angered every supernatural, been a member of every clan (though, pointedly, he's never claimed to be a member of any clan - just allowed people to assume what they like), dialed every phone, saved every puppy, and possibly gave a kitten to a werewolf once as a peace offering.
It's known for sure that he was, as a mortal, a pretty talented Broadway singer, and a very talented Broadway composer. It's known that, as a vampire, he's very closely associated with a coterie of independents, madmen all of them, that are somehow, inexplicably, still alive.
- He hasn't actually dialed every phone, but Alexis does have a direct line to an Archon. Maybe even two.
- Alexis can be easily goaded into a murderous rage by comparing him to Andrew Lloyd Webber.
- The majority of his waking hours are spent high as a kite on all manner of mind-altering substances.
- He isn't even really a vampire, just a human with a bit of weirdness in his blood.
- Alexis does all the drugs because he sees the future when he's high... and unfortunately, he's never wrong.
- That thing with the hunters and witches in Atlanta was totally blown out of proportion. Mountain out of a molehill.
- Alexis may or may not have had something to do with the infamous "Peanut Butter Incident".
- There's no way this guy's an independent caitiff. He's obviously working for someone important.
- Rumors abound about Alexis Godot - what have you heard?
Like a daydream.
Things said by Alexis. Staggeringly ingenious things.
- "...also Romeo and Juliet is depressing and Romeo's a cockbag. I should reference something better next time..."
- "Well it's not a love story, not really. More a cautionary tale about why Italians shouldn't have one-night stands."
- "Anyway, that's the story of how I saved Christmas - with the help of my good friend David Bowie, of course."
- "I want to gird my loins with the stars and bars! That doesn't mean I gotta show them to anyone."
Things said about Alexis. Filthy filthy lies, mostly.
- "I long for the days in which I was able to simply ignore him, passing over occasionally to extend my pity. We approach the crescendo. His life is that of Damacles, and one day soon the dagger will fall on this discordant note. I would wish no malice upon him, this is simply the order of the Song." - Ligeia Loxley
- "Believe it or not there was once a period where I began to find my eternal existence dull. It was at that point that I ran, quite literally, headlong into this fascinating being. Alexis continually flies in the face of convention, yet continues to get away with increasingly ridiculous feats simply because he's witty and charming and sometimes just flat out outrageous enough to get away with it. Of course, someday this will backfire on him rather spectacularly, but until the night that comes, I continue to find myself strangely fascinated. " - Mina Chandler
- "He is a gazember, a scamp, but without apparent malice. I only hope he understands that his reach should not exceed his grasp." - Eileen Vargas
- "Keep an eye on the young one. His course is not predictable." - Guibert Murmure
- "...sigh. What has he done now?" - Anderson Winchester
- "It seems as though that young thing has been able to irk every member of the this court I have spoken to within this lovely city. He has not yet crossed me but I will keep a vigilante eye on him until he does. " - Alister MacArthur
- "The boy's crazy, no two ways 'bout that. But it's the kinda crazy that's actually pretty damn smart, and knows exactly what it's doing no matter what it looks like. Don't underestimate this one..." - Kate Lockwood
- "If that drug-addled little shit didn't exist, someone would have to invent him. One night of his company could make a staunch Tower loyalist out of the most incendiary Anarch." - Evelyn Atwood
- [Your quote here!]
Like a fever.
The inspirations for Alexis are numerous and wildly variant, but some are certainly far more prominent than others. There are, in particular, four things I would like to acknowledge:
- The Decemberists, for giving me an endless list of pretentious names and literary references to work into a backstory.
- Any of numerous incidental stories by Brian K., who serves as a model for the character's loquaciousness.
- Just about everything written by Samuel Beckett, but of course and especially "Waiting For Godot".
- Any dozen lines from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
I like ties. Talk to me if you like ties, too!