Ferrum Arce: The Concilium of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- 1 Ferrum Arce: The Consilium of Hamilton,Ontario,Canada
- 1.1 The Senate
- 1.2 The Residents
- 1.3 Recent Arrivals
- 1.4 Those Remembered
- 1.5 Honorary Members
- 1.6 Sleepwalkers
- 1.7 The Banished
- 1.8 Enemies of Ascension
- 1.9 Visitors
- 1.10 Common Places
- 1.11 Lex Magica 2.0 of the Ferrum Arce Introduced July 2015
- 1.12 Lex Magica of the Ferrum Arce
- 1.13 Imbuement of Purpose
- 1.14 Citizenship
- 1.15 On Officers and their Appointment
- 1.16 Trial Procedure
- 2 History of Hamilton
- 3 Order Caucuses
- 4 OOC Game Information
Ferrum Arce: The Consilium of Hamilton,Ontario,Canada
Unlike many Consilli, Hamilton is based on a Path System with annual elections held each Autumn Solstice.
Heirarch - Apollyon (Upon the Death of Nitika Tytalus in the Battle against The Four Horsemen
Deputy Heirarch - VACANT
Herald - Billy Motion
Deputy Herald -
Sentinel - Katsumoto
Deputy Sentinel - VACANT
Steward - Sandek
Deputy Steward -
The postion of Steward is a unique one for Hamilton. The position is responsible for maintaining wards and protected the Site of Consillium.
Acanthus Councilor - Emrius
Acanthus Provost - Patriot
Mastigos Councilor – Sherlock
Mastigos Provost - Athrawan
Moros Councilor - Aequitus
Moros Provost - Vacant
Obrimos Councilor – Rageal
Obrimos Provost - Eir
Thyrsus Councilor - Vacant
Thyrsus Provost - Vacant
- (Insert Name Here)
OOC: All NPCs are available for Mentorship, in Hamilton or outside it. They each have a Legacy and can serve to help you get one.
- Firebrand, Obrimos, Freecouncil (NPC) -- The legendary Firebrand is semi-retired like many of his generation. With the recent murder of many of his contemporaries during the 30th anniversary of the Return, this Free Council mage has returned to Consilli politics. Whether the Double Master and reputed third attainment Transhuman Engineer will take too active a hand remains to be seen.
- Westmoreland, Moros, Adamantine Arrow (NPC) -- Getting up in his years, this mage now nearly 90, takes a back seat to politics since his days of Hierarch during the cities war years during the late 80s. He has mostly returned to his forge (Forgemaster) to continue the working of new items for those who serve to oppose the Exarchs.
- North, Mastigos, Adamantine Arrowmaster (NPC) -- This arrow, a former army colonel, was the Arrows infiltration expert. Skilled at bringing people in and out of the city proper, during the war years. His smuggling skills were of great use, but his criminal connections lead him to be slightly tainted. Now retired, rumored to be a Subtle One.
- Archer, Acanthus, Guardian of the Veil. (NPC)Once the most beautiful women in the city, Ms. Archer, as she goes by formally, is the cities ranking expert on the Seers, now a virtual recluse, almost never leaving the Guardian college. Rumored to be A Daione.
- Reilly Obrimos, Guardian of the Veil. (NPC) A once rather flashy and over the top Guardian who served as spokesman for the group. Notorious for making his way through some of the looser Awakened, he was a seducer and flamboyant GoV, that people wished the rest of the order was like. After the war he changed and became much more focused. Believed to be a member of the Perfected Adepts, he occasionally comes to Consilli.
- Torricelli Acanthus, Mysterium. (NPC) What people usually think of when they think Mysterium. He actually does research on magical phenomenon and has an extensive knowledge of the cities Cryptid population. A population now threatened by the various problems effecting the city, he is mainly concerned about the shadow men, creatures that seem native to Hamilton and are being adversely corrupted by the out of control magic. This Italian is also connected to the cities ethnic community and is also a somewhat competent chef. Despite that hes believed to be a Sphinx and has been willing to mentor many mages into that legacy.
- Turner: Former Hierarch, Mastigos, Silver Ladder. (NPC) Turner plotted to take over and run the city and finally did so in the 90's His reign was a period of peace for the city for ten years, before he retired. Legacy Unknown.
- Debonair, Mastigos, Silver Ladder. (NPC) The cities former Herald and Deputy Hierarch, Debonair was a newcomer from Quebec during the war years. She quickly came to be a fixture in the cities politics. She has made a noted name for herself and has quickly moved up the cities ranks. An attractive and noted scholar of the lex magica, she has quietly returned to Quebec, and can be contacted by her niece Sauvee (Played by Marie-Eve Brideau). She was never known to have a legacy.
- Levis Moros, Free Council. (NPC) This is steel town and always will be. While the rest of the city freted over the Seers, Levis continued to work on the cities Unions and magical works to make sure Hamilton stays the centre of industry. Now retired he still maintains a hand in the city Unions.
- Firewall, Moros, Guardians of the Veil
- Apollyon, Obrimos, Silver Ladder
- (Insert Name Here)
- (Insert Name Here)
- (Insert Name Here)
- (Insert Name Here)
- Cerberous. Former Sentinel of Hamilton. Moros. Has gone into self imposed exile until the Gaurdians of the Veil who wronged him are brought to justice.BR>
Enemies of Ascension
- The Four Horsemen. A group of Tremere Liches bent on freeing their master from his Mystical Prison. They dress up as the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse of Biblical fame. Famine, Pestilence, War and Death. They have been at war with both the Consillium and the Seers for centuries. They are believed to be the remnants of Tremere who once enslaved the Attawandaron people before there destruction during the Beaver Wars.
- Seers of the Throne
- The Sandman
- Speaks with Thunder, Obrimos, Silver Ladder (NPC). The new Herald of the Six Nations Consillium. Relations have been strained between the city of Hamilton and the neighbouring Consillium since the late 80s. During the 'Incident', where many Six Nation Arrow Warriors died led to much bad blood between the Arrows of both Consilli. This led to the Treaty of Residency, a pact between both Consilli of non-interference. Neither side can visit the other Consillium without permission from the Herald. All negotiations happen between the two heralds. Basically stay on your side of the fence and we will stick to ours.
- (Insert Name Here)
- Payette, FC Cambridge Consillium. She just recently arrived in the city and not much is known about her. She seems to have a fascination with space travel.
Royal Hamilton Yacht Club The Seat of Consillium. The Hamilton Yacht club and its Environs have been the traditional seat since its founding in 1898. A peculiar effect was noted after the fall of the Electric Light Assembly in 1940. The club and 500 yars around it in a perfect sphere could not be penetrated by the Seers of the Throne. The club quickly became a military outpost and staging ground for raids into the city.
Armitage Theatre Seer Base. The Mammonite Ministry operates out of this building much the same way as the Yacht Club acts as the home of the Consillium. This illegal fight club and bar, often features the Seer known as "The Champ". A large fighting Thyrsus who takes on all comers, including his magically enhanced boxing gloves.
Monument at Battlefield Park The main ley lines follow Main and King street with sub lines off of James and Ottawa streets. The Main/King lines merge at Stoney Creek park and along with a ley line that comes from Lake Ontario and follows the mountain brow. The epicenter of that is the Monument in Battlefield park. The monument pulsates with Prime Energy and seems to charge up with a direct line to the Aether. Its sort of like a combination of battery and Old Faithful. Every so often it gets full and sends a pulse down the lines into the core of Hamilton. When that happens the black cloud of the Oppression abates for a second and the clouds lighten, while viewed via Prime Sight.
(Insert Name Here)
Lex Magica 2.0 of the Ferrum Arce Introduced July 2015
HAMILTON LEX MAGICA
On this day, the Consilium of Hamilton shall set forth a document which shall be henceforth known as the Lex Magica. This document shall be the founding document upon which the Consilium shall stand with precedent and procedure, and shall be the document known as Law. The Lex Magica shall be the deciding factor in all matters of magical law and procedure as approved and set forth by those individuals that shall be henceforth known as Councillors.
All members of the Pentacle who reside in or visit the City of Hamilton are considered to be under the Lex Magica and subject to its laws. To become a citizen, a Mage must perform an act of service for the benefit of the city which a majority of Councillors agree is worthy of citizenship. Only citizens may vote in elections, and only citizens may hold positions within the city. Precedent: Someone who joins the Concillium, becoming a citizen, cannot accuse citizens of crimes which were committed against them prior to them becoming citizens. Only new crimes will be considered by the Sentinel and Heirarch. Precedent: Deputies must also be full citizens of the city. In a time of crisis, defined as a time when a War Councillor has been chosen to lead the city against a specific threat, all Citizens are required to put aside any rivalries and other projects to unite in common purpose until the crisis is resolved. Citizens shall be called upon according to their skill and the needs of the Consillium.
The Lex Magica shall recognize the validity and positions of the Consillium, which shall be created by and with the following positions: The Councillors: The Councillors shall be appointed at large, democratically, by popular vote of the Consilium Members. The Council will not recognize any representatives from the Seers of the Throne, the Banishers, the Scelesti or other Legacies known as "Left-Hand". During times of trial, the Council shall serve as the jury for any cases except where there is a clear and concise conflict of interest. A councillor MUST chose a provost or second within a month of being elected. In the event that a crisis occurs which requires the speed of decision that comes of having only one single leader, the Council may appoint one of their number as War Councillor, granting him alone the full power of the Council until such time as all four other Councillors agree unanimously that the crisis has passed.
The Hierarch: A Heirarch shall be chosen by popular vote of the concillium. Should any vote of the Council be tied, the Hierarch may act to break this tie. The appointment of Hierarch may occur by popular vote of the assembled Councillors, or may be an elected position selected by the Councillors. A Hierarch may not be removed in a time of war, except in cases where there is clear evidence of violation of the Precepts of Secrecy. The Heriarch serves for a term of 1 year, elections to be held at the Autumn equinox. In times of a trial, the Hierarch shall serve as the Judge presiding over a case except in cases where there is a clear and relevant conflict of interest. The Hierarch, as per the rules of law, may elect to "force a trial." In cases of a hung jury during a trial where the Hierarch sits as both jury and Judge, the vote of the Hierarch shall be removed. Deputy Heriarch: The Heirarch’s deputy will be appointed by the Heirarch. It is the duty of the Deputy Hierarch to keep records of meetings and maintain records of censures, council decision and citizen status. The Deputy Hierarch may stand in for the Hierarch in the instance that she is not able to perform her duties or if there is a clear conflict of interest.
The Provost: The Consilium shall recognize the rights and duties of the Provost who shall be considered the second-in-command for the Councillors. They shall serve as acting Councillor in times when there is a clear and concise conflict of interest, or when the standing Councillor is not available for regular duties.
The Herald: The Consilium shall recognize the rights and duties of the Herald to serve as the voice of the Consilium to its members. The Herald shall also act as a liason and mediator between the Consilium and other supernatural groups. The Herald shall be appointed by majority vote of the council.
The Sentinel: The Consilium shall recognize the rights and duties of the Sentinel. They shall be considered the arm and sword of the Consilium, acting as both peacekeepers during times of peace and generals during times of war. During times of War, they shall assume the rights and responsibilities granted to them by a writ of war approved by the Council. The Sentinel is chosen by majority vote of the council. The duty of the Sentinel is to police the Awakened community, to act as chief investigator in the matter of crimes committed against the Lex, and as prosecutor in trials. If a Mage is accused of a crime, it is the job of the Sentinel to investigate the truth behind the accusation and bring these findings before the Hierarch to engage in the prosecution. He is also responsible for bringing the accused party before the Hierarch for trial. In the commission of his duties, the Sentinel has the authority to arrest, detain and/or injure, but not kill citizens of the city. He may also violate the sanctity of Sanctum in pursuit of a suspect or as part of an official investigation. Interfering with the Sentinel in the pursuit of his duties is considered a non-Capital crime.
Precedent- The authority of the Sentinel does not extend to the right to read the mind of a suspect or witness without permission In the event that the Sentinel is accused of a crime, the Herald shall act in his stead in matters of investigation and prosecution.
Factotum: This position shall be held by a member of the Silver Ladder, chosen by the Order members of Hamilton. Their responsibility is to advise on legal matters to the council and oversee elections and ensure their impartiality. Any elected positions can be removed by dual arcane or by a majority vote of non-confidence by the membership. Anyone can dismiss their own deputy at any time. An officer may be removed because of absenteeism (failure to perorm duties for 3 consecutive months)
The Consilium shall recognize the following precepts as part of the Lex Magica. These shall henceforth be known as precedent; and shall have standing upon which they shall be a deciding factor upon which trials and decisions shall be made. The Consilium shall recognize the concept of stare decisis et non quieta movere (more concisely stare decisis) except in cases where a petition is brought before the Consilium.
The following precepts shall be recognized as stare decisis.
The Precept of Secrecy: The existence of magic shall be kept quiet from those who sleep (henceforth referred to as "Sleepers"). Those who violate this precept shall be recorded with the Consilium. Transgressions of Secrecy shall be considered cumulative in nature. Violations of Secrecy shall include, but are not limited to the following:
• Casting magic before sleeper witnesses (henceforth known as "vulgar"). • Casting vulgar magic before witnesses who tell others. • Leaving evidence that magic has been performed. • Teaching sleepers the mysteries • Betrayal of arcane knowledge to other Supernatural entities. • Falsely accusing another of betraying the precept of Secrecy.
The Precept of Recognition: The Consilium shall recognize all Awakened who fall within the boundaries of Greater Hamilton, as falling with the jurisdiction of the Consilium. This shall include "what is above", "what is below", "what is without" (the Shadow Realms), and "what is within" (the Astral and Twilight realms). These definitions may be further clarified with a two-thirds majority of the Consilium. All transgressions that occur within these boundaries shall be kept on records for specific time frames which may include, but are not limited to the following guidelines:
• Debts – 1 year • Minor Offences – 1 year • Major Offences – 10 years • Banishments – Length of Banishment + 5 Years • Spiritual Scourging– Sine Die
To gain recognition as a member of the Consilium [ooc: To gain Consilium Status 1] requires the decision of any member of the Council, and may only be revoked [ooc: Removal of Consilium Status 1] by the Hierarch or by a simple majority vote of the Council.
The Consilium shall recognize the basic rights of the Defendant, henceforth known as "The Accused", and all shall be known as "innocent until proven guilty". The accused shall have the right to seek legal council to represent them in the form of an Amicus Curiae or an "Advocate". They may also choose to represent themselves as their own legal council in any and all trials. All decisions made by the Consilium shall be made with a simple majority. The accused shall not be held to any standards involving a double jeopardy except in cases where new evidence is clear and evident in nature. All decisions may be appealed to a higher court which shall consist of one of two methods. The accused may appeal their case to the Hierarch directly, who may choose to overturn the case, force a retrial, or choose stare decisis. If this is chosen, the decision of the Hierarch is final. The Accused may also elect to seek the Duel Arcane. The decision of the Duel Arcane shall be known as final.
The Precept of Protectorate: The Council shall recognize that all awakened who fall within the boundaries of the Consilium, as outlined in the Precept of Recognition, shall be afforded the protection of the Lex Magica and the Consilium. Those who seek to violate the sanctum of another shall find that justice shall be met in two manners – first justice by the Consilium, and second, the Consilium shall recognize the concept caveat pervasor. Each recognized sanctum shall provide guidelines on which introductions or announcements can be made to avoid unnecessary harm against individuals not intending to violate the Precept of Protectorate. These guidelines shall be available upon request. At this time, the Consilium shall not recognize "independent areas" within the boundaries outlined here. This may be amended in the future.
Precept of Hubris: The Consilium shall not seek to establish a firm code of Morality for the Awakened. The Consilium does however, recognize that certain acts shall be considered "grievous offences" and shall be considered violations of the Precept of Hubris. These offences include, but shall not be limited to the following:
• Casting of a Curse • Forcing unwilling transformations • Binding another's soul • Magical attacks against others (except as outlined in the Duel Arcane) • Aiding of spiritual possession • Exiling others to the shadow realms • Using magic to murder another • Soul theft • Using magic to force another into acts considered criminal by mortal laws • Falsely accusing another of offences against the Precepts
Any of the above acts may also violate the Precept of Secrecy and shall be considered major offences. Any offence involving murder, soul theft, forcing of criminal acts or magical attacks with intent to kill or harm shall be considered major offences. Falsely accusing another of violations of any of the precepts may also be considered a major offence. Precept of War: The Consilium shall recognize that disputes between cabals exist. When disputes are unable to be solved with mediation with a neutral third party, the Consilium shall recognize the precepts of "High War", provided that the cabals involved adhere to the rules of Engagement as laid out prior to the start of the proposed engagement. Should the Rules of Engagement at any time be violated, the Sentinels, who shall act as the foremost authority on war, reserve the right to take any and all actions necessary to end the violence and restore peace. The proper procedure under rules of war shall be as follows:
• The Cabals shall come forward with a dispute and request mediation with a neutral third party. • If a decision is unable to be reached through mediation, one or more cabals may petition to engage in warfare and may establish Rules of Engagement that must be approved by the Sentinels prior to being submitted to the Consilium. • The Consilium must approve all acts of war with a two-thirds majority. • The petitioning cabal must then decide if they wish to engage in approved warfare, which shall be known as "Sanctioned Warfare" or unapproved warfare which shall be known as "Low Warfare". • The finalized Rules of Engagement shall be approve and resubmitted to the Sentinels. Judgements The Consilium shall recognize the following judgements as potential outcomes of any crimes or transgressions that may occur. These are subject to change at any time, and may be further defined by the Consilium at any time with a simple majority vote. These shall be referred to as "The Tetragrammaton". • Minor Reprimand • Major Reprimand • Payment of Debt • Minor Penance (may include Community Service) • Major Penance • Severe Reprimand • Incarceration • Banishment • Scourging • Spiritual Oblivion. • Censure (restriction of being able to run as an officer of the consilium for a period of time decided by the council)
That all modifications to this charter be submitted as amendments below, and require a majority vote of the Council to enact. Interdicts The Council of Hamilton recognise the following points as having precedent in Law.
• Whilst the Duel Arcane is accepted as the preferred final method of dispute resolution between individuals, a Duel to the death may only be sanctioned by unanimous acceptance of all five Council seats. • No Mage of Hamilton shall kill another, save with the unanimous consent of the Council. • No Mage of Hamilton should give aid or succour to the enemies of Atlantis (defined as the Seers of the Throne, Scelesti and other Abyssal entities, Banishers, the Mad and known followers of other Left-Handed Legacies.) These enemies are not protected by the provision above. • The theft of Souls is outlawed in Hamilton. Consensual trade or removal of a soul between two magi may be authorised only by a majority decision of the Council. This does not affect the time-honoured trade of Soul Stones between Magi.
Lex Magica of the Ferrum Arce
Imbuement of Purpose
We the Awakened of the City of Hamilton do hereby enact this Lex Magica for the following purposes: -To establish a ruling body for our society with clearly defined roles of authority; -To ensure that our fellow Mages use their magics in a responsible fashion, and bring just punishment in the event that they do not.
All members of the Pentacle who reside in or visit the City of Hamilton are considered to be under the Lex Magica and subject to it's laws.
To become a citizen, a Mage must perform an act of service for the benefit of the city which a majority of Councillors agree is worthy of citizenship.
Only citizens may vote in elections, and only citizens may hold positions within the city. Only citizens may call upon the right of Advocate and the right of First Ownership. Only a citizen may accuse another citizen of a crime.
Precedent: Someone who joins the Concillium, becoming a citizen, cannot accuse citizens of crimes which were committed against them prior to them becoming citizens. Only new crimes will be considered by the Sentinel and Heirarch.
Precedent: Deputies must also be full citizens of the city.
In a time of crisis, defined as a time when a War Councillor has been chosen to lead the city against a specific threat, all Citizens are required to put aside any rivalries and other projects to unite in common purpose until the crisis is resolved. Citizens shall be called upon according to their skill and the needs of the Consillium.
On Officers and their Appointment
The city shall be ruled by a Council of Five, with each Councillor representing one of the five Paths.
The will of the Council shall enact or change The Lex Magica, as well as direct the response of the City to various concerns.
To pass, change or remove a law, the Council must vote and have more “Yea” votes for the change than “Nay” votes. Abstentions do not count. If neither a Councillor nor his Provost are available for a vote, the vote for that Councillor shall be considered to be an Abstention.
The Councillors shall be elected democratically. Only members of a Path may run for office and vote for the office of that specific Path (e.g. Only an Acanthus, may run for the position of Acanthus Councillor, and only other Acanthus may vote for candidates for the Acanthus position). An election needs to be called once annually, and must be called during the Autumnal Equinox. The winner shall be the candidate who receives the majority vote of his Path. Those who are not present may vote via actual or magical proxy provided this proxy can be verified as genuine by the Hierarch.
Precedent- A Familiar can be used to cast a proxy vote on behalf of the Mage to whom it is bound.
If circumstances prevent an election from happening at the proper time, the Election must occur at the next gathering.
A Councillor can lose his position if challenged to Duel Arcane by a citizen of the city, with the express intent of removing the Councillor from his position. If the removed councillor is voted back in, he cannot be challenged again in this manner for six months.
In the event that a Councillor is removed, killed, or otherwise no longer able to fulfil his duties, his Provost shall act as Councillor until the next possible election which shall be held during the proper astrological time as indicated above.
In the event that a crisis occurs which requires the speed of decision that comes of having only one single leader, the Council may appoint one of their number as War Councillor, granting him alone the full power of the Council until such time as all four other Councillors agree unanimously that the crisis has passed.
The offices of Hierarch, Sentinel, Herald and Steward are all Appointed by the Council. To be appointed, a candidate must have a majority vote backing him or her. One appointed to one of these positions may only be dismissed from the position by a unanimous vote of the Council OR if they are found guilty of having committed a crime.
Each of these appointed positions may select one Deputy to act as their second in all duties in the event that they are unavailable. In the event that one who holds an appointed position is killed, or is otherwise unable to fulfil their duties, their Deputy shall act with the authority of that office until such time as the Council appoints a new citizen to the post.
Precedent: The citizen selected for the position of Deputy must be willing to accept the position of their own free will.
Each Councillor may select a Provost to act as their second, acting in their stead in all ways, for when they are unavailable to sit as Councillor. Precedent: A Provost does not need to be of the same Path as his Councillor
A Provost may be appointed or dismissed by his Councillor at any time.
The duty of the Hierarch is to act as Magistrate in matters of Law. He or she presides as Judge when a Mage is accused of breaking the Law, and his interpretations of the Law are added to the Lex as precedents in matters where someone has been accused of a crime and the law is unclear.
If someone accuses a fellow Mage of a crime, it is the responsibility of the Hierarch to hold the trial. In matters of dispute between two Mages, or minor matters where no evidence is in dispute, the Hierarch may hear all parties and make rulings immediately. In matters of Capital crimes, the Hierarch must hold off on trial until such time as the Sentinel declares his or her investigation complete.
It is the sole responsibility of the Hierarch to declare sentence for any violation of the law. The death penalty can only be declared in the case of Capital crimes.
It is also the duty of the Hierarch to preside over elections to ensure fairness. The Hierarch also presides over Arcane Duels to determine the victor.
If a Hierarch is accused of a crime, the Council shall stand in judgement over the Hierarch. The Hierarch's innocence or guilt shall be determined by Council Vote.
If an accused believes the Heirarch may have a personal grudge against him or her, the accused or his or her Advocate may appeal to the Council prior to trial on these grounds. If the Council agrees, another Officer of the court may be selected by the Council to act in the Heirarch's stead for this specific case.
The duty of the Sentinel is to police the Awakened community, to act as chief investigator in the matter of crimes committed against the Lex, and as prosecutor in trials.
If a Mage is accused of a crime by another citizen it is the job of the Sentinel to investigate the truth behind the accusation and bring these findings before the Hierarch to engage in the prosecution. He is also responsible for bringing the accused party before the Hierarch for trial.
In the commission of his duties, the Sentinel has the authority to arrest, detain and/or injure, but not kill citizens of the city. He may also violate the sanctity of Sanctum in pursuit of a suspect or as part of an official investigation. Interfering with the Sentinel in the pursuit of his duties is considered a non-Capital crime.
Precedent- The authority of the Sentinel does not extend to the right to read the mind of a suspect or witness without permission
In the event that the Sentinel is accused of a crime, the Herald shall act in his stead in matters of investigation and prosecution.
The duty of the Herald is to act as the emissary of the Council for the purpose of relations with other Consillia, or any dealings or contact with non-Pentacle supernatural beings.
Precedent- This specifically does not refer to Spirits or Ghosts
The Herald has the authority to proscribe any contact with a specific supernatural being, declaring them off-limits for anyone but the Herald and the Herald's Deputy to contact. This announcement must be made publicly at a Consillium gathering to be instituted immediately, and must be repeated publicly at the next public gathering to remain legal. Anyone in violation of this proscription is committing a non-Capital crime.
In the event that a Citizen is accused of a crime by a non-Citizen, or in matters of dispute between a Citizen and a non-Citizen, the Herald acts instead of the Hierarch to resolve the dispute, but must otherwise follow normal trial procedures.
The duty of the Steward is to manage the grounds and defences of all Concillium meeting grounds. He is responsible for maintaining the wards and defences.
The Steward has the right to refuse entry to any being whom he deems a risk to security. The Steward may also demand that someone leave, and failure to comply is deemed a non-Capital crime.
If any Citizen accuses any other of a crime, the Sentinel shall be responsible for investigating the truth of the matter. When the accused and accuser agree upon the facts of the case, but not their interpretation, or when the Hierarch is being called upon to settle a dispute between two or more citizens, the Hierarch may forego the Sentinel's investigation.
Precedent: A citizen may be charged by another for the actions of their property and bound servants under the Lex.
In a dispute between two Citizens, either side may challenge the other to the Duel Arcane to resolve the matter (see the separate document, “Code Duello”). If two Citizens do not wish to fight in the Duel Arcane, the Hierarch shall hear both sides of the case, and may then render a verdict immediately.
In matters in which the facts are in dispute, or the accused is charged with Capital crimes, the Sentinel shall investigate the matter. The trial cannot begin until the Sentinel has completed his investigation and then the Sentinel shall act as the prosecutor. The Sentinel has the option of dismissing the charges if they are found to be baseless.
Once a formal charge has been made against a Citizen, the trial must occur in a timely fashion, unless the city is in a crisis and a War Councillor in power. Both sides are typically given a month to prepare a case. If a trial is not provided within three months, an accused and/or his Advocate may appeal to the Hierarch to dismiss the case unless the Sentinel is ready to proceed with trial within the hour.
For a full trial, a representative of the Council, at least one Councillor or Provost, must be present.
The Sentinel is required, upon request of the accused or his Advocate, to provide a summary of all charges and evidence against the accused prior to trial. Any new evidence presented to the Hierarch after this request is made is inadmissible if said evidence was not listed.
Precedent- If the accused requests a list of evidence during the trial, the Sentinel is required to provide this. Any evidence already presented at that point cannot be declared inadmissible.
Precedent- New, unlisted evidence CAN be presented if the Sentinel was unaware of it and thus could not list it. This specifically refers to testimony by witnesses the Sentinel was unaware of.
Before the trial begins, the Hierarch may ask the accused how he pleads. Guilty, Innocent, or Guilty with Mitigating Circumstances. If the plea is Guilty, the Hierarch may proceed immediately to sentencing.
If the plea is Innocent or Guilty with Mitigating Circumstances, the Sentinel may present his case to the Hierarch. Once the Sentinel has presented his case, the accused and/or his advocate may present their case for the defense. At the end of each presentation, each side is permitted three questions to cross examine the testimony of the other side.
Precedent- The Hierarch may permit additional questions, entirely at his discretion.
Once both sides are heard, the Hierarch may render his verdict.
All Precepts have been excepted within Hamilton and have the Weight of Silver Law
Right of Advocate
In the event that a Mage is accused of a crime, but does not feel he understands the law sufficiently to defend himself, he may request an Advocate to represent him. The Hierarch is obligated to hold off having the trial until the accused names his Advocate and said Advocate appears before the Hierarch. If an Advocate does not appear before the Hierarch within one lunar month, the Hierarch may proceed with the trial.
An Advocate may be any Mage. Any matter of compensation between the accused and his Advocate is a private matter to be worked out between the two of them.
Right of First Ownership
In the event that a Mage who is sworn to the charter is the first one to find a magical item, tome, Hollow, or other magical resources, the one who found it first shall be determined to have the right of ownership, unless he or she chooses to waive that right.
Precedent: If a Mage donates property to a Cabal, which then later dissolves, that property does not automatically return to the ownership of the original Mage. The Right of First Ownership applies to the Cabal's former properties.
Precedent: If one Mage locates an item, and a second Mage follows those instructions to collect the item, the Right of First Ownership belongs to the Mage who actually took physical possession of the item.
The following are crimes for which the punishment may not include death:
-reckless endangerment of human lives and/or safety;
-failure to comply with the ruling of a Hierarch;
-theft of property from another Mage;
-entering a Sanctum without permission
Precedent: Every room of a Sanctum must be clearly marked with the owner's sigil so that one who has entered that Sanctum can immediately know if they have entered a place they should not be; -refusing to leave a Sanctum when the hospitality of the host is revoked; -killing a Cryptid
Precedent- A Cryptid may be killed only if that specific Cryptid is determined to have taken a human life; -intentionally enacting harm upon a Mage sworn to this charter; -breaking an Oath to another Mage sworn to this charter; -forcibly binding the Will of another Mage sworn to this charter; -refusal to return a Soulstone to its rightful owner after requesting three Boons, or three years, whichever comes first
The following are crimes for which the punishment may include death:
-the murder of another Mage sworn to the charter;
-breach of the Veil;
-proof of being a member of a Left-Handed legacy;
-The use of biological weapons (Weaponized flu or other Viruses);
-Enlisting the Spirit courts to engage the enemy directly
Precedent- Individual spirits can be summoned to fight enemies of the Pentacle, but not entire Courts,
Precedent- For the purposes of Spirit Mages they are, under the law, Mages First and Spirits second; -Mind controlling sleepers to engage the enemy; -Mass Murder of Bystanders (Sleeper or otherwise); -Using Cryptids as biological weapons to engage the enemy
Precedent- A Cryptid may be employed to spy upon the enemy if they are agreeable of their own will
Precedent - The council can grant authority to overrule this crime in the event of a unanimous vote with Hierarch's support. All five Councillors must be present for this vote.
History of Hamilton
- Pre 1640. Little is known from this time. The time of the Attawandaron, its history and its cultures are mostly lost. It is known a large tribe of Tremere Liches were located in the city. They treated the Attawandaron as a farm, harvesting souls on an annual basis. This allowed them to destroy any native mages before they could threaten them.
- 1640 First Silver Ladder and Guardian of the Veil expedition arrives with St. Jean de Brebeuf expedition. They discover the presence of Tremere Liches and report back to Eastern Mages.
- 1652 Large Adamantine Arrow contingent arrives in Hamilton area, as part of the Beaver Wars. They track down the concentration of Tremere and defeat them in a battle, where the Tremere sacrifice thousands of Attawandaron to fuel there energies. The bodies are buried in a huge mound near present day Emerald Street. The creation creates the most powerful natural hallow in Hamilton.
The Consillium of Gore
- War of 1812 Large Arrow contingents arrive in the city during the period and later build barracks. Found Brock Collegieum in Stoney Creek.
- 1814 to 1830 Other mages begin to arrive in the area.
- 1845 Consillium of Gore founded.
- 1846 City of Hamilton Founded. The Consillium of Gore is by this time a Cabal based government. The SL lead the Stone Chair Cabal, and are heavily involved in Family Compact politics and Anglican Church. They are led by Hierarch/Magister Liverpool. The other Cabal is Clintons Company, led by the Arrow Sentinel Clinton. The Cabal is known for work on expanding local infrastructure including the nascent railway. A third cabal has largely been forgotten but was suspected of being made up of Guardian Reformers, they were led by GOV Marion.
- 1854 Cholera Epidemic/War of Four Horses
- The city becomes gripped with a Cholera epidemic when a meeting is called by the Hierarch Liverpool. However only half the mages show up and the Sentinel Clinton investigates when the Hierarchs party’s horses show up minus their owners. Its shortly discovered thats Liverpool and several other mages were murdered after leaving their Sanctum were members of the SL heavy Stone Chair Cabal, along with the loss of the Stone Plates. The next year is spent fighting a shadow war with a band of Tremere calling themselves the 4 Horsemen. The resulting war causes heavy casualties until a group of Nameless offer support to the dwindling consillium. In the end however 4 mages remain of the Diamond led by Arrow Anson, apprentice of Clinton. The Stone Plates however remained lost.
- 1855 In an Ironic Twist the surviving SL Miss Snow manages to finish off the construction of the Grand Masonic Lodge, as the seat for the Consillium. However because of the deaths of many of the SL responsible for the building’s manufacture, it never became a full seat. Rumors of secret passages and extra dimensional spaces are partially confirmed.
The Arrival of the Techne Movement
- The Prelude to the Great Refusal
Hamilton becomes the focus of a group of mages calling themselves the ‘Techne Movement’, the Nameless who aided the Consillium did so in exchange for the right to settle freely in Hamilton. They began to settle in the area, and for the most part the Consillium of Gore is powerless to stop them.
- 1860 Steam Powered Water Works Completed
One of the first Techne devices built in the city of Hamilton. The Nameless involved is forgotten to history, but this became the home of the Nameless for many years to come. The sympathetic power led to the formation of a large hallow and redirection of a ley line.
- 1866 Fenian Raid/Nameless Suppression
Hamilton was not just the Centre of Nameless immigration it was also the centre of Irish immigration and two Mages became locked in step with that early history. The techne leader O’Connell was the founder of the cabal Steam Whistle, and was also responsible for brokering the deal with the Consillium that led to the end of the War of 4 Horses.
He was opposed by the Nameless mage Emmett, a vocal supporter of the Fenian cause, who worked to provide intelligence to the other side during the raids. His cabal the Roberts Brigade began street agitation and support for Irish home rule but also became interested in supporting the raids. What brought the matter to a head the need to deal with them, was that Sentinel Wolseley discovered that Emmet and his cabal were in touch with the Seers of the Throne.
Threatened with the possible expulsion from the Consillium O’Connell led the Nameless against each other in what turned into a raid on the night of the Battle of Ridgeway. Emmett was captured in Hamilton and brought forth before the Consilli. In his trial he publicly admitted that not only was he working with the Exarchs, for the good of freeing his homeland from the oppression of the Watchtowers. Examination of him soon proved that he had allowed himself to become a member of the Scelesti Legacy the Echo Walkers. He believed that by only destroying the tools of both the Exarchs and Watchtowers, would those ‘Who Came Before’ could free his homeland of both tyrannies. He had been receiving visions from that ‘who slept under the mountain’, and that one day he would be free to destroy the world. He was thoroughly discredited and the Nameless agreed to a sentence of death. He was ritually dis-ensouled in order to be destroyed less he pollute the future. However his soul was stolen from the SL.
- 1872 9 Hour Movement
The sudden arrival of the 9 hour movement came as a shock to many Nameless within Hamilton, but they were quick to get involved. This led to the formal presentation and demand by the Nameless and O’Connel to demand recognition that his apostates deserved representation on the Consillium. That he and the other Cabals deserved a fair share of the vote.
It also led to the first contacts between the Nameless of Hamilton and other Nameless around Canada. Though the Movement failed to win major concessions and eventually fell apart the Nameless were now more organized than ever.
Consillium of the Bay
1874 Consillium of The Bay Founding
The Consillium was simply unwilling to hand over control of the City to the Nameless despite there greater number of cabals. This led to strife at council and the SL worked to come up with a compromise. The Arrow Hierarch Wolseley created a political solution that would see the city turn to a path based system. However a special law was inserted that anyone could challenge the path representative to a duel arcane, and thus ban the current holder from holding office. The SL Gladstone then has numerous challengers brought in to duel Nameless holders over the next few years. This does not prevent the Nameless from holding council seats but does prevent them from having a majority of seats.
- 1884-1889 THB War
The Seers had not been a real power in the city historically, with the exception of the Emmett scenario, they had primarily used Hamilton as a base for raising money through control of numerous Churches in the area. This changed with the founding of the Toronto Hamilton and Buffalo Railway in 1884. The Seers now had control of a major industrial hub and the ability to bring in and out agents. The railways became conduits for Seer control and power, leading to the redirection of leylines under their control and away from the traditional Hallows of the Diamond mages.
Once again it was the Nameless and their trade unionist allies that provided the ability to disrupt the ability of the Seers to get the trains done on time. Through labour disruption and magical aid the Seers were thwarted and the ley lines reverted to the traditional paths.
Surprisingly the Great Refusal had little impact directly in the city of Hamilton. The formation of the nameless into the Free Council was initially welcomed by many of the Diamond within Hamilton. However the inclusion directly of so many new cabals into the local consillium led to great tensions which eventually boiled over.
The Electric Light Assembly
- 1912 Founding of Free Council in Hamilton
Though the strike itself was caused by other problems, the use of troops from Toronto to settle the matter led to a final explosion and the dissolution of the Consillium of Gore. The fact was the FC was twice the actual diamond mages within the city. The FC simply did away with the long standing Lex Magica and moved immediately to create a more perfect union of progressive thought and technology. Hamilton would be the city of not just industry but the basis of all true magical governments.
- 1914 Copernicus ascends. The local mage Copernicus ascends to Archmastery and leaves his 'gifts' behind for the Free Council to use to protect the city. Those artifacts would lead to great harm and chaos in the coming decades.
- 1918 Ferrum Arce Founded
The local Diamond orders feeling the heavy hand of the Free Council rule, leave the downtown core and move to Dundas. They form the Ferrum Arce Consillium for all mages wanting a more traditional way of life. For the most part they are ignored but as the Free Council becomes more arrogant, more mages begin to relocate to the area.
- 1930 Commonwealth Games Of Hamilton
The Arrow help support the development of these games. Leading to a gathering of Arrow from around the world coming to a special Clinton Cup, named after the founding Arrow of Hamilton. However more sinister forces are at work, a group of Arrows from Germany arrive and are set upon by Pestilence long thought dead. The last member of the 4 Horses, powerful beyond years, kidnaps the German mages and prepares them for a ritual sacrifice. Turns out that his intent is to sympathetically sacrifice the 4 mages in such a way that he will drain not just there 4 souls, but all the Arrow mages within Hamilton attending the games. He is foiled by the Cabal Vimy Ridge, led by the Arrow Byng and the Guardian Sentinel Kell from doing this. It is believed that the ritual soul stealing would have led Pestilence ascend to archmastery but others believe he may have had a more complex motive.
The Seer Tetrachy
- 1939 With the enactment of the War Measures act, the Seers round up large parts of Free Council influence, cracking down on organized labor in the city. They also seize control of the Copernicus devices turning them on the flat footed Free Council. The counter attack lasted a year but by 1940 the Free Council were forced to retreat to Ferrum Arce, and the downtown core became solidly Seer. Rumors of mysterious allies continue to this day.
- 1962 Mayor Copps is elected. He soons orders that Hamilton should be rebuilt along new lines. Many classically buildings are destroyed, and the cities ley lines are moved as a result. It is belived the Seers are attempting to rebuild the city along some hidden plan, but as they occupy and control the city centre, no one can stop them.
- 1976 Mayor Copps has a heart attack. With this fortunate accident, the entire plan seems to fall apart, the citys leys line become dangerounsly unstable and the Seers seem to loose control over their own project.
- 1983 It is learned by Hierarch Clarke that the Praetorians Ministry had been corrupted by the Abyss and was planning on using the Copernicus Devices to create a huge abyssal gate. This gate would envelop the downtown core and destroy the city putting the region at risk. Working together the Mages of the Pentacle systematically defeated the Praetorian plan by casting a ritual created by Clarke and provided to him by his Aeon. The Devices were magically scattered, and the Praetorians were destroyed in a huge dock fire that occurs. This tragedy the largest disaster in Hamilton since the Cholera Epdiemic kills the corrupted Seers.
The Restoration of the Ferrum Arce
- 1984 to 1990. The Seer War.
The next few years are a war in the city like no other. Both sides use weapons of titanic nature, including when both sides use there spirit courts to engage the other. This led to the intervention of the cities Werewolves, who threaten to destroy whichever side does not work to restore the balance. Both the Seers and Diamond orders stop to return the spirit courts to there place.
- 1987 The Incident. A group of Arrow from the 6 Nations Consilli, are ambused by Seers. The Hamilton Arrow were supposed to rendezvous with them were delayed by a Seer strike force. This leads to hostility and the 6 Nations leaving the War Effort. Bad blood remains between the two Consilli from that moment on.
- 1990 The cities Werewolves intervene to stop the War from destroying the spiritual landscape of the city.
- 1991 The Armistice. The Armistice was an outgrowth of the restoring the balance. It was a temporary truce between Mages of both sides. A prison exchange occurs and a six month agreement not to fight or interfere. That six months extended into a year and have extended ever since. Neither side has worked to actively provoke the other. They only fight through intermediaries and or competition. Neither side seeks to harm the other. However the Praetorian Ministry is considered exempt from this.
- 1992 Treaty of Residency. The Treaty between the Ferrum Arce and the 6 Nations Consillium, leads to the formal agreement of isolation between the two Consilli. Only the Heralds are allowed to speak to each other, and neither side may enter the others territory.
- 2003 A large group of Praetorians are caught staging out of a schoolhouse by the cities Arrow. Hierarch Westmoreland is appointed warleader for this battle and leads the Arrow into battle. Though the entire Praetorian force is destroyed, the Hierarch is heavily criticized for the losses and retires from the field.
Game 1: On the 30th anniversary of the Great Ritual that scattered the Copernicus Devices to the 4 winds, all the ritualists had their souls ripped from their bodies at the exact same time. Investigations led to the 4 Horsemen being held responsible.
Game 2: A bunch of magical robots are spotted around the city stealing various high value components. Sentinel Cerberous tracks them to their lair, only to discover they were engaged in a plot to resurrect there dead master, the Seer Fortran. The Free Council and the Silver Ladder work together to recover Ivor Shandor and begin to uncover the clues to Psychetecture and its hold on the city.
Game 3: The Silver Ladder and Mysterium work together to defeat the Coffee Can of Horror. Meanwhile the Hierarch Redcap engages in bloody single combat against the Seer Boxer known as ‘The Champ’. Later the sleepwalker Root and Redcap work to save the singer Amy Aim from being kidnapped by the gang ‘The Fighters’ in deadly motorcycle combat!
Game 4: Shortly their after Sentinel Cerberous is attacked the 4 Horsemen and nearly destroyed. The same night the Hierarch Redcap falls in combat against the monster known as the Sandman. Hierarch Nikita Tytalus is elected. Meanwhile the streets are filled with riotous sleepers who are infected with Sudoku Rage! Meanwhile the mage known as Firewall goes off on mysterious secret orders.
Game 5: Cars begin their assault on Billy Motions whose investigation into the mysterious Skylex Corporation reveals an Abyssal AI plotting god knows what with an army of Smart Cars and a Hack License. A secret laboratory maintained by a mysterious mage is uncovered and a lost Copernicus room is found to be located inside it.
Hamilton Feature: The Grand River Consillium home to the Mages of the Mohawk confederacy have long feuded with Hamilton ever since ‘the Incident’ where 10 GR Arrow fell to the hands of the Seers. However the Least Consillium had long been a tradition of Thanksgiving and at it, old wounds are healed, negotiations and threats uncovered and contact is made with an interested third party. The 4 Horseman known as Famine is unmasked as the Former Hierarch of Grand River revealing the fact he was the secret force behind ‘the Incident’. An Arrow Strike force led from mages from Toronto is repulsed with the loss of the Guardian Macarias soul bargained away for her life. Finally the Grand River Hierarch Pontiac banishes the Free Council from that Consilli, only to be forced by Sentinel Cerberous to withdraw his action in a dramatic Duel Arcane.
Game 6: Chief Pontiac is revealed to be possessed by a Goetic Demon and the Silver Ladder band together to rescue him from his own hubris. Meanwhile the Guardians of the Veil and Mysterium raid the lost Vault of Brahe, and after facing the deadly traps awaiting them, they discover the lost magic of the ages.
OOC Game Information
|VST:David March||mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org|