Julian Marcus Haldane
|Storyteller:||DMH Masquerade VST|
Julian Marcus Haldane
Name: Julian Marcus Haldane
House House Gaul
Social Class Elder
Position: Prince of Phoenix, Arizona
Information Known by Kindred Society
Julian was embraced into Clan Ventrue to act as a facilitator for the interests of the Clan of Kings in the emerging new world colonies sometime during the mid-17th century, a position he pursued with vigor and acumen following his release from his sire. After the Revolutionary War, Julian settled in the Southern United States and was the ‘power behind the throne’ for several of the most powerful tobacco plantations and cotton estates in the fledgling world power.
The American Civil War brought about an abrupt end to that era of Southern prosperity, though rumors persist that Julian has the foresight to be aware of the coming changes and managed to extricate himself and most of his clan from that situation before it took a turn for the worse, though he has never elaborated on the source of his reasoning for that decision.
After the war, Julian continued to move west, including short stints as a business consultant for hire throughout the Midwest before coming to the New Mexico territory (including what is now modern day Arizona) during the heyday of the Wild West. Julian chose to put down roots again for the first time in several decades, and once again became a powerful broker of money, land, and blood from the shadows. Controlling cattle kings and railroad barons, Julian helped shape the land and territory, dragging it out of its sordid and violent state and forging it into a modern society.
Turning his focus from business to politics, Julian became Ventrue Primogen of Phoenix as the Domain took form and flourished under Prince William Locke of the Brujah, known as the Iron Fist of the Camarilla. As the decades passed and Prince Locke became flush with success, the Prince began to believe that his own rule was greater than even that of the Ivory Tower itself. Julian opposed the Prince and his gallant disregard for protocol and tradition, leading to several confrontations between the Prince and the Primogen Council. Julian was forced out by the Prince in 1998, a de facto exile from the Domain he had helped create and nurture into the crown jewel of the Southwest.
When the Prince and his entire court went silent in 2010, Julian was among the very first to have ‘boots on the ground’ and returned to Phoenix to investigate the incident. When the entire Domain was found to be dead, burned to ash by an unnatural fire, Julian claimed Praxis, stepping from the shadows to take direct and open control for the first time.
Those who came before
- Child of Roman DeGaul
- Julian never chose to 'move on' from his business interests, but rather was forced out by opportunistic Kindred seeking to exploit Julian's success and claim it for themselves.
- He rarely socializes with the members of his Domain, despite being aware of the suspicion it invites and rumor-mongering it breeds. The reasons for this choice are unknown but much debated.
- Despite their political differences, Julian was closer to Prince Locke than was publicly known, and he blames himself for Locke's downfall and the subsequent deaths of the court members as well.
- Julian has been engaged in an economic shadow war with prominent members of the Giovanni clan that began in the late 1800's and continues to this day, and that is the reason they refuse to meet with him face to face.
- He was the primary benefactor and socio-political director of the Knights of the Golden Circle after the fall of the Confederacy in the Civil War.
- Julian is involved in a political war with Anna Russell. In 2014, rumors say that she was after this throne. When she failed at seizing his praxis, she turned around and blackmailed the Prince. Whatever information she had, it was enough to secure the position of Seneschal.
- Julian has removed Anna Russell from Seneschal. Rumors abound.
- Rumors say that Julian recently announced (2015) he engaged to Anna Russell
- The Prince and Anna Russell are no longer on speaking terms. What gives?
- He has a deep dislike for Gianni Corleone
"Julian's story is that of a reluctant frontiersman. For decades he would travel ahead of the expansion of Clan Ventrue in the Colonies, building up an area before the wave caught up and the results of his hard labor would be handed off to some individual best described by the colorful appelation 'rear echelon motherfucker' so they could enjoy the fruits. Then he'd be shooed on out ahead to start the cycle all over. When it came round in Phoenix I decided it was long since past time for him to have a shot at the whole shebang, and the when the wave caught up they made me pay for it. It'll be interesting to see what happens when they try to push him out this time, because there are no more frontiers in this age..." - Alistair FitzWilliam von Daun
"Bloody stuck up tosser, bit to big for 'is britches." - Brigid
"Without Julian there would be no Phoenix, and there would be no Camarilla hold in Arizona. Without his insightful strategy and wise guidance the whole State may have been lost. The Ivory Tower owes him for the foresight he has extended in furtherance of the Camarilla. He is a true Ventrue and a true King of the Night." - Maximillion Ulrich Von Bek
"He's polite enough, and listens to what I have to say. I haven't seen him make any bad decisions, and he keeps the ship sailing smoothly. He doesn't mess with me or my clan. What else could a guy want in a prince?" - Xavier Diamond
"He's taken a ramshackle group in a dangerous city and made it a court. No one is perfect but his success far outweighs the parts I disagree with." - Alicia Vangelista
"There is no success without sacrifice. There is no sacrifice without woe, but in that woe is wisdom. For some souls, akin to a Catskill eagle, they can dive down into the blackest gorges, and can manage to find a way to soar out of them again; to once more become visible in the open spaces. And even if a soul like that forever flies within that gorge, that gorge is in the mountains; so that even in his lowest swoop, the mountain eagle is still higher than other birds upon the plain, even though they soar as well." - Anna Russell
"It is said that within the heart of every Ventrue waits a Prince, that may be true but the saying doesn't say if they are actually capable of such a duty. We Patricians have a legacy, a tradition to rulership... why? Because thankfully our clan contains Kindred like Julian Haldane, without those like him we would be far less than what we are today. We owe him our thanks, and our honor." — Marcus Cornell
"He's not much for dealing damage up front, that's why he calls in specialists. Hi! I'm Specialist!" Danny McManus "It has been a pleasure to serve a Prince of his stature. Like royalty such as myself, he is not afraid to get his hands dirty in protect what he loves and cares about. But then again, it is very rare that the Ventrue ever disappoint." - Angelique DuMont
Julian Luna (Kindred: The Embraced)
Jim Profit (Profit TV series)
Isaac Bell (novel series by Clive Cussler)
Player: Jeff Sollars
MES number: us2002021762
Location: Phoenix, AZ