Name: Mina Chandler
Clan: Followers of Set
Current Location: Seattle, Washington
- Wilhelmina Chandler
- Mina Chadwick
- Willa Chaney
- Occasional other combinations of these names
- The Youth and Beauty Brigade
Even though she’s ardently proud of her British roots, Wilhelmina Chandler was not actually from England and has spent little time in the country. She was born in 1749 in upstate New York to Richard, a wealthy merchant, and his wife Elizabeth. Mina’s mortal life was affluent, although not overly remarkable. She was her parent’s only surviving child and as such was doted over and never wanted for anything. As she grew older she learned all she needed to be a fine young woman in society. On a whim her father also taught her some of what he had learned of business, although she was never expected to need such knowledge. When she was old enough she was married to a young man with a promising career ahead of him. The two loved each other dearly, and looked forward to a bright future together.
There were several happy years, but the stirrings of revolution and unrest were soon felt. These stirrings quickly turned into war. Despite her begging him not to go, Mina’s husband felt it was his duty to go and left to join the fighting. It was the last time she saw him. Towards the end of the war she received the heartbreaking news that he had been killed. As the fighting drew to a close Mina's father, along with many other Loyalists, decided enough was enough and took his family back to England.Once in England Mina was unpleasantly surprised to find life there was much different than she was used to. In New York Mina had been the epitome of a fine and proper lady. In England she appeared ill-bred and poorly mannered compared to those she met in London. She was in their eyes merely a novelty, the girl from America with quaint mannerisms and titillating stories, but little more. Facing a bleak and lonely future with few prospects, Mina sank into depression and hopelessness. She prayed as she’d been taught as a child, prayed for guidance and to only be
happy again…but no matter how much she wept and screamed to the heavens God stubbornly kept silent.
It was in this state that her Sire plucked her from the edges of London’s high society. The first few years were difficult for Mina. There was much to learn and adapt to as a Kindred, even more as a Setite. Once she became used to the ideas however, she found becoming Kindred had opened many opportunities to her. She was allowed to study, to question, to explore different philosophies and beliefs. She was shown a God who had not forsaken her and a world that was there for her taking. Mina’s appetite for knowledge became insatiable and after several years she sought out and was granted permission to travel to Egypt to continue her studies in her clan’s homeland.
In Egypt Mina continued her studies as well as served in the local temple, proving her devotion. She met a few reluctant to accept her presence there – some Setites were against those of not Egyptian blood even being Embraced into the clan – but for the most part she was helped and accepted. Old wounds healed and she found peace and purpose in her new life.
As the Prohibition came to an end Mina again found herself ready to move on. This time her steps take her south, to tropical Havana. She established a casino nightclub and reveled in the luxury and lifestyle. This is also the first time that Mina started dealing in illicit substances beyond alcohol. However things started to became uneasy, tensions rising within the country, as well as between Cuba and the US. In 1958 Mina guessed how it would all end, took what she can carry and fled the country.
She headed back to Seattle where she still had a few contacts. The plan is to get her feet under her again, and then move someplace else like Las Vegas or Chicago or Los Angeles, yet as so often happens she became sidetracked and hasn’t left Seattle yet.
One of the things that sidetracked her was Geb Shadid, a charismatic Setite who spoke up for further rights and better treatment of the independent clans. Mina was charmed by him and pulled in by his words which resounded with her. Alongside the mortal civil rights movements of the 1960s, the Independent Kindred in Seattle had their own, ending in the assassination of Geb in 1969. Outraged, Mina and others worked tirelessly to gather evidence and put together a case showing that Geb had been assassinated because of a member of the Tower, one Reginald Cornell. Everything they worked towards was dismissed however, and the Independents are quietly told to leave it alone, in case they drew harsh punishments down upon themselves instead.
Mina was devastated. After his death she wanted to see others continue to rally around Geb’s cause even more, even tried to pick it up briefly herself, but one by one others in the city drifted away until she was the last of her clan left in Seattle. The whole incident left a deep wound behind, but she fought down all the bitter emotions, forcing herself forward. And slowly, as time went by, things seemed to return to normal.
About the same time she met Jack Rey, a young hair-metal musician and his band, looking for someplace to play on a regular basis. Mina didn't think too much of it, but gave him a gig in a bar she ran. However, over the next year she observed him and found the young man intriguing. At the end of the year she made up her mind, and made Jack Rey her Childe. She devoted most of her time and attention to him and his teaching for the next several years. In the mid-1990s he asked to return to the East Coast, and Mina reluctantly released him. Not because she didn't trust him or believe he’s ready, but because she would miss the company. She withdrew further from Kindred society, only showing up to gatherings on occasion. She never caused trouble at gatherings, but often wasn't sober and just seemed generally unhappy. She still hadn't found the relief and enlightenment she’d hoped to find, and matters of faith and purpose and family weighed heavily upon her.
Then suddenly, in the early 2000s, Mina was back as she was. She returned to gatherings, and seemed to have found whatever it was she was seeking. The bar in which she met Jack was burned to the ground, yet seemingly not overly upset about it she set about opening a new establishment in Capitol Hill. She also agreed to do some work for the Prince of the city – purely business of course. Last but not least Mina seems to be gathering a growing group of other young Independents. Perhaps she has just been lonely and enjoys the company of the younger Kindred. Perhaps what she says,
that they merely work together to be useful to others, is the truth. Perhaps she has something else in mind entirely. No one is completely sure.
Brief Timeline Overview:
1785 - Embraced in London, England
1785 - 1795 - London, England
1795 - 1850 - Cairo, Egypt
1850 - 1899 - San Francisco, California, USA
1899 - 1932 - Seattle, Washington, USA
1932 - 1958 - Havana, Cuba
1958 - Present - Seattle, Washington, USA
Notable Traits: Mina is rarely seen without sunglasses. Around other Kindred Mina makes no attempts to hide the fact that her fangs don't seem to retract. She also doesn't attempt to hide the black and gold scales that creep along her neck up to her hairline.
Those that have been to one of Mina's clubs will find that she is a charismatic host with a flair for the mysterious and dramatic. She seems to draw mortals to her easily, and in turn she loves to interact with and play to her audience.
Appearance: Mina appears to be a woman of about thirty, well dressed and well mannered. Her style of dress would be considered perhaps a little unusual or old fashioned, but with the resurgence of Victorian styling and the rise of things like Steampunk she may appear a little alternative, but certainly not out of the ordinary.
Mina's mannerisms are smooth, graceful, quiet. She can be firm and commanding without even raising her voice, but would prefer not to have to be - so much more can be accomplished with a smile, a look, a well placed suggestion.
Lineage Jormungandr Kinship
- To Be Determined
- Jack Rey
- To Be Determined
The Youth and Beauty Brigade
"It's Just Business"
Allies & Friends
Rivals & Adversaries
In Other's Words
(Add your PC's quotes here.)
- "What can I say about Mina? Hmm. To quote Milton: Knowledge forbidden? Suspicious, reasonless. Why should their Lord Envy them that? Can it be a sin to know?" - Eileen Vargas
- "What a curious creature. She can be so comfortable in small groups, holding her own with the luminaries, but it is almost as if society at large puts her at unease. I had not the heart to tell her those sunglasses don't go with that ballgown- she has been so helpful to me, you know." - Ligeia Loxley
- "Mina and I, we go way back. I mean, I suppose a childe should go way back with his mum, right? But anyway, certain things tend to leave an impression in the mind. In any mind, even one presently off its rocker on expensive and inaccessible designer hallucinogens. Among those things are, you might surmise, random-ass attacks by angry wolfmen in Manhattan. I mean I knew there were werewolves in LONDON, but New York? That's just some crazy shit there. Anyway, Mina saved my life, and I saved hers, and we called it a wash and now I have a mother. And like all good mothers, she gave me a steady supply of Ecstasy and heroin. Sometimes both at once!" - Alexis Godot, animatedly chattering with a cat.
- "Would that the world were simpler, and more just. But this is not the world we want. It is the world we have." - Captain Sawyer
- "It is a difficult thing to bear the mark of the villain. The virtuous seek their damnation while those who play the virtuous speak ill of them in public and yet curry their favor in private, only to lay blame at their door when the pretenders' corruption is made manifest. A difficult path is the path of the sinner, and yet there are still those that take to it. One wonders what they find there?" - An observation from Phillip Avery Redgrave
- "One often blames the Snake for corrupting Mary in the Garden. But one also often forgets that it was God who put the Snake there in the first place. Ms. Chandler is what she is, and I do not blame her for such. I do, however, blame those foolish enough to trust her." - Einhardt Wagner
- "I've heard plenty of stories about how treacherous Settites are, but Mina has always seemed perfectly trustworthy. I have to wonder how many of those stories start off with someone like me saying something like that." - Richard Adams
- "The Hooded Malpolon, commonly called a false cobra, serves a purpose, has merit, and venomous or not can be acknowledged as skilled and capable. The problem with ghilan is someday the false cobra sheds its skin and is revealed as a spitting cobra. Blood will tell." - Althea Bell-Hammon
- "She is rather sure of herself, isn't she? I don't know that I've ever seen another Setite act with such confidence. I suppose it must serve her well, but I found rather alarming. But then, maybe that was the point." - Desdemona Gonzaga
- "On ne devrait pas être parler vu aux serpents." - Guibert Murmure
- ""Lovely and clever. And an excellent source for all things Egyptian!" - Charlotte Hammond
- "Her's is a tale I wish to know more about, the journey of such a lovely creature to her current standing must be riddled trials of hardship and opposition. I hope one day she shares it with me so I may better understand her." - Alister MacArthur
- "I like you" - Dieci
- "The beautiful Miss Mina Chandler is the epitome of what a Camarilla Setite should be. Far better than I ever could be. I can't understand why the city of Seattle refuses to accept and acknowledge this. Move to Portland as soon as you can Miss Mina. We would welcome you with open arms." - Adam Ro
- "It's not like I knew what the hell I was doing with my existence when I met her. So I've gotta be pretty happy she gave me more purpose in...well...I guess 'life' isn't the right term, but you get what I mean!" - Jack Rey
- "Mina and I have more in common than I at first realized. It is a shame what politics can do to an otherwise impeccable creature." - A. Winchester
- "Betwixt all Setites and all Independents I find her the most enjoyable. She does not just speak her desires to be useful, she acts upon them and proves herself a resource. I suppose I should ponder to what end, but I am content for now." - Viktor Cantemir
- "Insert Quote Here" - Your Name Here
(Feel free to add any rumors about Mina here!)
"There's this game that children play, I believe it's called two truths and a lie..."
- Mina is only allowed the freedom she has in Seattle because she holds something over the Prince.
- Mina was incredibly influential in the legalization of marijuana in the state of Washington.
- Mina has been collecting a growing group of young, Neonate Catiff types as of late. There has to be a reason for that.
- There is at least one Archon that owes Mina a favor.
- Mina is only allowed the freedom she has in Seattle because she's mind-controlled the Prince to let her have it.
- Mina's judgement is perhaps somewhat questionable. She has managed to end up on the losing side of every single revolution or political movement - mortal or Kindred - she's become even marginally involved with.
- Mina has been responsible for the introduction of several designer drugs to the market.
- Seattle is not the only city that Mina holds more sway than she should over Princes in.
- Mina is not responsible for nearly all the things she's been blamed for. She's merely a victim of bad press.
- Mina is actually the one who Embraced Alexis, they play this elborate game of 'adoptive family' to throw people off to this fact.
- Mina is only allowed the freedom she has in Seattle because her and the Prince are secretly lovers.
- Actually, it's rumored that Mina has quite a few lovers.
- In the 1800's Mina was under the intense scrutinty of at least one Tremere. This continued on for several years, then one night abruptly ended. Exactly why it ended is unknown.
- Mina is in fact responsible for every horrible thing she's been accused of and should be punished accordingly
- The only reason Mina tolerates Alexis is because he holds something over her.
- Mina doesn't actually hold the sway she appears to, she is merely a pawn in someone else's bigger game.
|Clan:||Followers of Set|
|Storyteller:||Seattle C/A VST|
I plucked fragments of inspiration from many places for Mina. Some of those include:
- The TV series Deadwood, but in particular the characters of Alma Garret and Al Swearengen.
- The movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
- The character Annabelle Bransford in the movie Maverick
- The character Pam de Beaufort in the TV series True Blood
- The book The Loyalist A Story of the American Revolution
- Far more hours of Dance/Club music than I care to admit to.
- An ongoing fascination with Egyptology, the Revolutionary War era, the Old West/Gold Rush era, the Prohibition era, and just history in general.
- More to Come...
- “A beauty is a woman you notice; a charmer is one who notices you.” - Adlai E. Stevenson
- “A fool flatters himself, a wise man flatters the fool.” - Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton
- “Charming people live up to the very edge of their charm, and behave as outrageously as the world lets them. ” - Logan Pearsall Smith
- “Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents which, in prosperous circumstances, would have lain dormant.” - Horace
- “One must not lose desires. They are mighty stimulants to creativeness, to love, and to long life.” - Alexander A. Bogomoletz
- “Dignity consists not in possessing honors, but in the consciousness that we deserve them.” - Aristotle
- “Reveal not every secret you have to a friend, for how can you tell but that friend may hereafter become an enemy. And bring not all mischief you are able to upon an enemy, for he may one day become your friend.” - Saadi
- "You're obliged to pretend respect for people and institutions you think absurd. You live attached in a cowardly fashion to moral and social conventions you despise, condemn, and know lack all foundation. It is that permanent contradiction between your ideas and desires and all the dead formalities and vain pretenses of your civilization which makes you sad, troubled and unbalanced. In that intolerable conflict you lose all joy of life and all feeling of personality, because at every moment they suppress and restrain and check the free play of your powers. That's the poisoned and mortal wound of the civilized world" - Octave Mirbeau
(Some possibly NSFW)
- A Little Party Never Killed Nobody - Fergie
- Live for the Night - Krewella
- Circus - Britney Spears
- The City is at War - Cobra Starship
- You're Gonna Go Far, Kid - The Offspring
- Welcome to the Boomtown David & David
- Fix Me - 10 Years
- Prelude 12/21 - AFI
- Everybody's Fool - Evanescence
- Beautiful Tonight - Krystal Meyers
- Spark - Assemblage 23
- Global Concepts - Robert Delong
- Send Your Love - Sting
- Sadness - Enigma
Cam Number: US2011047646
Also player of:
Want ties? I love ties! Friends, Enemies, Childer, Partners in Crime, Anything in Between - if you're interested hit me up and we'll talk!