|Player:||GL ARST Masq CAI|
|Storyteller:||GL ARST Masq CAI|
Sire: Ernest Prindle (Cape Town, South Africa)
Residence: Milwaukee, WI
Acknowledged by the Prince of Johannesburg, South Africa (upon his release in 1920)
Confirmed as an Ancilla of the Camarilla
Commander as Archon to His Grace Jan Pieterzoon, Ventrue Justicar
Noble as Archon to His Grace Jan Pieterzoon, Ventrue Justicar
Favored by Monique Preusen, Prince of Twin Cities
Victorious in a symbel ordeal vs. Mark Decker in 2014
Samuel Vesper is also Authorized by Carna, Primogen of Clan Tremere in Milwaukee to learn Thaumaturgy
Notable Traits: magnetic, intense bearing; tall & wiry; brown hair & eye; wears an eye patch over the right eye, which is apparently lost before the Embrace; persistent South African accent & quiet voice; observably impatient
Information Known by Kindred Society
The information below is reasonably available to characters of the Masquerade Camarilla/Anarch/Independents continuity. Some subsections are marked as available knowledge only for certain groups of characters, and thus would not be known by every character.
Known by Kindred Society At Large
Samuel Vesper's story is a more colorful one than most Kindred his age can boast.
The Archon has had the following Servires in his service:
- Veronica Devries, Clan Toreador (Michigan)
- Zoe De Medici, Clan Tremere (Michigan), quit the post
- David Clay, Clan Brujah (Missouri), inactive
- Lee Ann Marcos, Clan Toreador (Missouri), deceased
- Lukas, Clan Gangrel (Missouri), deceased
- Victor Graves, Clan Tremere (Missouri), staked by Prince Meshack Boeotarch of St. Louis
Samuel Vesper was born in 1879 near Cape Town, South Africa, just before the First Anglo-Boer War. He was a British colonial citizen raised to see the Boers as rebels and enemies. With the British army, he fought in the Second Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902), including some very bloody campaigns in a war that was widely publicized by the press at its time for its violence.
In 1902, Cape Town Toreador Ernest Prindle took a personal interest in Vesper, whose heroic combat actions had also inspired regard in him, and so Prindle took the veteran on as a Retainer. Seven years later in 1909, Prindle embraced Vesper into the Clan Toreador. Vesper remained in his sire’s care and tutelage until 1920, during which time they arranged the “failure of Mr. Vesper’s health” and “demise”. Upon his official death, the pair moved to Johannesburg, where Samuel Vesper was released into Kindred society and Acknowledged as a member of the Camarilla by the Prince of Johannesburg.
In 1962, Vesper moved back to Cape Town under a new mortal guise. He remained there until 1985, when he attended Conclave in Monrovia, Liberia. Caught up in the intrigues surrounding the South African Ventrue that dominated that Conclave, Vesper provided the Justicars and their Archons with some of the information they required about the affair, corroborating other intelligence being collected that put the whole picture together for them.
After that Conclave, Vesper moved to Chicago, where he knew the Toreador of that city, as well as Milwaukee and the Twin Cities, had a great deal of power. When the Lupines and Sabbat attacked in 1993, Vesper was there, and he even served as a Servire under Archon Vladimir Penzl, who served the Ventrue Justicar. After the rash of martial governance executions implemented by Archon Penzl, the Justicar “retired” the Nosferatu Elder from his service. In 1996, the Ventrue Justicar replaced Penzl with Samuel Vesper as his new Archon in the Lakes-Mississippi Heartland. Samuel Vesper’s continued service and valor in combat against the enemies of the Camarilla has earned him the respect of his local (until recently) Primogen Lucina and the Prince of the Twin Cities, the Elder Toreador Monique Preusen. He has lived in Milwaukee since 1994, where he keeps a close eye on the former Archon, now Prince.
Known by the Harpies
Archon Samuel Vesper owes various major and minor prestations to Kindred of the Lakes-Mississippi Heartland, including several Elders. He is also owed a few by Kindred from other parts of North America. (For details, Harpy players may e-mail the GL ARST Masq CAI at email@example.com.)
In spring of 2011, Archon Vesper brought word to the Harpy of Indianapolis (at the time, Oliver Pike) about a certain prestation owed to the Anarch Baron Tommy Hinds by the former prince Andrew Montrose that undermined the latter's security in the praxis of that city. With a word to the Harpy explaining the history of that prestation, Archon Vesper set in motion a chain of events that led to Montrose being deposed and Alexander Garrick being raised in his place. This is one of many examples in which Vesper used subtlety and comments in the right ear to defend the stability of the Camarilla.
Known by the Clan Toreador
Samuel Vesper is proof positive that Clan Toreador are not weak, as so many other clans would like to characterize them. He commands the respect of the Ventrue in court and the Brujah in combat, all with his own subtle mannerisms. He has a lust for adventure too great for the weak of heart when it comes to dangerous physical feats. And with the exception of his missing eye, he has keen senses that not only make him an excellent tracker in combat situations unparalleled among Kindred, but also insight into the subtleties of the musical arts and an appreciation for the natural beauty of flowers that is testament to his heritage among the Roses.
Vesper resides in Milwaukee and is known to associate very closely with the Ancilla Lucina, who was Primogen of that city until very recently. Most Toreadors pity his position, constantly watching the undisputed ugliest Kindred in the Lakes-Mississippi Heartland, even when you look past his visage. Gauche as they are, the Nosferatu of that area claim to pity Vesper for having to entertain Lucina so often, but who cares what the Nosferatu think about such things, anyway? (Either way, wouldn’t any Toreador prefer to live in the Twin Cities or Bloomington? Bless that man for his dedication to the discharge of his duty!)
- Many wonder why he chose Zoe De Medici as Servire, some speculate that she was chosen to make another Toreador jealous.
- He took his Servire Zoe De Medici to the All Hallow's Eve Ball as his +1.
- At least six different Kindred women, mostly Toreador and elders, currently vie for his attentions.
- Vesper's intense fanaticism over Chicago is in part to show Penzl that he is capable of more than the former Archon turned Prince and in part because he wants the praxis of Chicago for himself.
- The night before the Battle of Chicago, in Milwaukee, Vesper invited Orenna Komnenos to join him and escorted her on his arm to the introduction of VIPs during the reception in Milwaukee hosted by Clan Nosferatu at the Hot Water Wherehouse. Later that evening, he left the Nosferatu reception for a while and went into the VIP section of alone with Veronica Devries and Komnenos for a while.
- Ever since the night after the Battle of Chicago, Vesper has worn a Chinese coin on a leather thong around his neck.
Quotes by Samuel Vesper:
- "I don't, as a rule, give lies to my Servires. I leave that to ... other Archons." - speaking to Veronica Devries, 2014.
- "The munitions are right there before you. But they won't deploy themselves like in some Bedknobs & Broomsticks fantasy. Will you pick them up and wield them for the Camarilla?" - to a crowd of Camarilla citizens at a reception held at Milwaukee's Hot Water Wherehouse club on the eve of the Battle of Chicago.
Quotes about Samuel Vesper:
- "For many decades, the power of the Rose in the Lakes-Mississippi Heartland was unquestionable and unquestioned--our influence in Minnesota, Illinois, and Indiana was doubtless. But after tragedy struck our clan in Chicago and Indiana, some Kindred began to question our relevance. Samuel Vesper and I will curb such tendencies." - Prince Monique Preusen of Twin Cities, 2005.
- "He's been tracking me down to call in a blood-hunt. He can't catch me though, because I'm more of a badass." - Vanhook, 2013.
- "It has become quite clear to me that our relationship is the ripe subject of gossip in the Lakes-Mississippi Heartland, but it is not as exciting as all hope. I serve him without question, as he serves his Grace. Any intimate details are the fanciful creations of idle Kindred and bear no resemblance to the truth of our joining." - Veronica Devries, 2014.
- "...I found the Archon to be a rather fascinating individual...why he found me interesting, on the other hand, is anyone's guess" - Amber Tsigane, 2013.
- "I am so sorry, but I couldn't tell you a thing about the man, other than what is widely known. He is a soldier of unparalleled dedication, and all else is neither so important, nor so fascinating." - Orenna Komnenos, 2014.
- "I don't care you think he is a monster, what he does, he does for the Sect for all of us. Now if you are quite finished, please refrain from speaking on this subject again." - Spencer 2015
This character is an NPC. All OOC questions about this NPC and IC correspondence directed to the NPC should be directed to the GL ARST Masq CAI.